Sunday, November 19, 2023

Booster Club gets the State Championship they wanted

The Square State Striders bused up to Boulder for the Colorado XC state championships. The race was held on a bluebird day at Harlowe Platts park, which hosted the previous years' Masters XC Nationals meet. Weather was similar, unsure if goose poop levels were equal but likely. 

The Masters mens squad brought a full team to race some outstanding Front Range club competition (Summit Co. you don't have a team???). Taking the team title this year capped a great first year for the Square State team. Carson Rickey suited up and repped the Squares in the deep open competition, possibly impressing his wife. 


Here's what the crew had to say about the event.


Lars Heckman, recent team addition: 

"The course was hard, the pain was exquisite, but the memory was everlasting! The hardest race I've run, probably ever, maybe because it was my first cross country race! What a great experience to be thrown onto the shoulders of an awesome group of elite runners and walk away state champ! It only gets easier from here right?"




James Kaminski broke a roughly 20+ years of cross country racing sobriety and had a great return for the Striders. 



"That was hands down the hardest running event I did this year, including Leadville. But I can't wait till next season. I had an absolute blast."

Gerald Romero, a fixture on the Colorado (and most of America if we're honest) racing scene is finally a Square State Strider. He threw down and placed on the podium for the 50+ group while mixing it up in the overall masters ranks.



"It was a beautiful day for a classic cross country race. It was a pleasure to be a part of our 40+ USATF team win. and I am proud of our whole team. Our Square State Strider singlets looked awesome out there. Lets continue to be THE BEST EVER!"

Tom Caughlin went full Uncle Rico and showed everyone that he used to be somebody. 



"After 400 meters I knew I was in trouble, but my impending sense of embarrassment for getting beaten by JT led me to continue on, in vain, for another roughly 4,600m. Had it not been for a few brief strides next to Melody Fairchild, a national champion, my ego would be decimated by Teishers dominance of the day. I never mentioned this outing to my 103 lb 15 yr old son, who'd run almost a minute faster in the same park a month ago. I will revel in hubris bordering anemia for a time in the late 90's....I was once....fast. Could I drop five minutes in the coming Turkey Trot?"

JT, showed up in all black (defying potential uniform disqualification) and rocking insider access merch.

Credit: Dave Albo- Lane1 Photos


"My race was just like Tom's but faster."

Neil McDonagh, conducted a live field test science experiment on himself. 

Credit: Dave Albo - Lane1 Photos


"I'm 42 years old now. Maybe in my 6th decade of life I will stop going out at 4:20/mi pace in the first minute of XC races. Until then I shall bathe in the lactate all those Norwegians talk about."

Logan Wealing, ran all the Boulder XC series races and demonstrated his usual full attention and vigor for the season.



"As an inducted member of the International Society of Weights and Measures, I would like to clarify that the variance distance the course can not be truly calculated because 37% of the course did not have double flagged boundaries but in fact natural environmental borders. "

Carson Rickey decided to send a postcard to his old PA-USATF pals about what real XC is about.  (we can not confirm if Carson met the standards of his Tiger Spouse)



"Didn’t walk this year. Great crowd support from SSS Masters. "

Ruth Black was signed up and ready throw down in the ladies race but disaster struck.

"Paid for it, drove to it, then gladly sat out the wind and small field in lieu of cheering on SSS teammates! I do not recommend wearing wool socks on carpeted stairs with full arms and my tailbone is pretty mad about it too."

Mini Striders, Erin and Julia McDonagh dueled with what appeared to be an exceedingly well prepared army of Boulder children in the kids 1km race.

Credit: Dave Albo- Lane1 Photos


"I liked when Constantine (2008 Olympic marathon gold medalist) signed my medal and kissed my head after the race." - Julia

"My race was fun but very hard. I like when Constantina Dita signed my medal."- Erin

The Square State Striders had a great booster squad representation at the meet, and are super thankful for all their support and pity.

Nearly double the amount of Square State Striders were potentials for the big weekend of XC racing in Boulder but there was a litany of 'Reasons' why they could not participate. Please pick your favorite 'Reason'

  • My wife is out of town
  • My wife thinks I'm not in very good shape
  • My Mother-in-law's visiting
  • I don't like that course.
  • I fell down the stairs maybe broke my tailbone likely have a concussion.
  • I avoided saying why I can't do the race.
  • Going to a party where they ask you for money.
  • Boulder charges $0.20/bag
  • My child is going swimming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vacations and Stay-cations

The Square State Striders competed locally and globally (Florida isn't really a state, more of a state of mind, sorry Gerald). Some fol...